Monday, August 20, 2007

School Day #1

   Well, today was my Big Boy's first day of school! He was SO excited that he could hardly sleep last night. Do you know that he was up, dressed, and had already made his bed by the time that his alarm clock went off?! I was barely out of my bed! haha! So, I'm reminded of the excitement of a new school year. After school, I asked Big Boy, "Well, how was your first day?" The reply? "Well, I survived my first day of third grade!", it was spoken so triumphantly. As a mom, I was beaming on the inside, he was prepared and ready for whatever this year may bring. (You may remember our Boot Camp from last week.)

   That got me to thinking... about the revival at our church featuring the evangelist, Ronnie Owens earlier this year. 

   Revival made me think of my life. You see, I had always been a "good little girl" growing up, trying to make the right choices, say and do the right things. I grew up in a Christian home, where my mom and dad were saved, taking me to church before I could talk. I had a wonderful foundation for finding Jesus. As a child, I made a commitment not really understanding the depth of believing that Jesus, God's son, died on the cross, to save those who believe, from their sins. I always told myself that if I died I would go to heaven, because I was a good person, I walked down the aisle and talked to the preacher when I was 10, yeah, I sinned, but I asked God to forgive me for those, even though I repeated the same sins over & over again, etc... EXCUSES.

   One night during revival, Brother Ronnie was asking, 'If you died tonight, do you KNOW where you are going? That you will go to Heaven? Or will you go to Hell? Are you sure? Do you really KNOW??' There was a sinking feeling deep inside me, like a shade had been removed from a lamp. I didn't really know. And I hated to admit that. Pride is a terrible thing, my pride stood in the way for me to step out, or tell anyone what was going on. You see, I had already lived over 15 years like I was a Christian, I had fooled so many people, I had fooled myself. I was so ashamed, broken, and needed to KNOW Jesus, for real, in my heart, and in my life. I cried all night, reading the Bible, and praying. I even tried to put a front on for my husband, but he saw right through it, asking me what was wrong. I broke down, and told him everything, he prayed with me, and suggested I go and talk to the preacher the next day (as it was so late). So, that is just what I intended to do. I went to the church, preacher wasn't there. I called him at home, he wasn't there either. The youth minister wasn't there either. Can  you say the DEVIL?? He did not want me to make contact with any strong Christian!! I was determined to not leave the parking lot, afraid that anything could happen!I called the preacher's wife for his home phone number, got it, and finally reached him, in tears. He came right up to the church, and talked with me. I kept reading over and over in 1 John 2:3-6, that we can KNOW that we are saved. I just had to know! Jeffery got up to the church, and we talked, I told him everything, I didn't care about my foolish pride anymore, all that mattered was Jesus and me! That morning, I prayed that Jesus would take my sins away, that He would come into my life, and help me to live for HIM! And do you know what?? Immediately a peace came over me, like God just wrapped his arms around me, I felt like a heavy weight was lifted from me, all my baggage had disappeared, and I KNEW that if and when I die, I WILL go to HEAVEN!!! I have to tell you, that heavy weight, the extra baggage, it didn't really disappear, I remember all those things I did, but the big news is, it was forgiven. When I mess up, and sin now, I get a heavy heart, I have to pray to God right there, and ask for forgiveness.

   Becoming a Christian is not the beginning of living a perfect life, it is a day to day choice for choosing to live for Jesus Christ my Lord, and He helps me. At the end of my day, I can triumphantly say, "I survived this day!" Do you think our heavenly father is looking down, beaming? I do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that!!! It blessed my heart!!!

Susanne said...

Girl that was just FLAT awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! I love it when God beams!!!!

Emily Anderson said...

Ain't God Good! Love ya.

Visitors since 10-9-07