Friday, August 10, 2007

Cookin4God's mini-series

Are you ready for Cookin4God's mini series?? I was reading in my Bible the other day, and happened upon a story that is not too much unlike what you would watch on tv. Picture this: there I was, having me a nice little quiet time with God, looked to the left from where I was reading, and found Judges 14!

   Now, so many people have probably heard the story of Samson, and his flowing hair that gave him his God given strength. This, wasn't that story!! This is about how Samson met his bride to be! Can you say, "family feud"?? That's what this sounded like to me!

   Okay, here's the down low....Samson went to a place called Timnah, saw a pretty lady, then went and told his parents, Get her for my wife! They were upset because he didn't want to marry someone they knew, that was from "their" people. Samson and his parents went to Timnah together. Next came the action part of the movie, a young lion comes out, Samson killed him with his bare hands! But does he tell his parents? NO, he goes on about his business of getting his wife. Later, throw a little Fear Factor in there, he's going along traveling to marry the woman, he sees bees and honey in that same lion's carcass, scoops some out, and eats it.  Not only does he eat it, he shares it with his parents! Now you wonder if he told them about the lion? NO! Next came the bridegroom's customary feast that was shared with 30 companions. Here comes the mystery: He gives them a riddle and bargains with them if they can solve it or not, by the end of the feast.

12 "Let me tell you a riddle," Samson said to them. "If you can give me the answer within the seven days of the feast, I will give you thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes. 13 If you can't tell me the answer, you must give me thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes."
      "Tell us your riddle," they said. "Let's hear it."

14 He replied,
       "Out of the eater, something to eat;
       out of the strong, something sweet."
      For three days they could not give the answer.

Next came betrayal, the companions cornered the wife to be, threatened her and her father's household, telling her she'd better find out the answer to Samson's riddle. Sure enough, she melted like putty in their hands, and went to Samson, finding out the answer, only to share it with the companions. You guessed it,

18 Before sunset on the seventh day the men of the town said to him,
       "What is sweeter than honey?
       What is stronger than a lion?"
      Samson said to them,
       "If you had not plowed with my heifer,
       you would not have solved my riddle."

 

And just like today, you are only as good as your word, God gave him the strength to carry out the remainder of the bargain, staying true to his word. He gave the men the 30 clothes.

This sounded so much like a drama from tv, that I had to tell my friends about it. Then, I thought, HELLO! What a great blog entry!! So, I'm sharing this with you!! How awesome is it, that God always has something MORE for us? All we have to do is hold out our hand, and receive it! I wasn't planning on being intrigued by that chapter in Judges, it just happened. This is what I love, I LOVE to see God's hand in my little life!! Thank you God for being real to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing...

Emily Anderson said...

hey kim! it's so nice to have some comic relief with all the stress we face every day. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that with us! I was checking up on your blog, and wished I had read it earlier! You always cheer my day up when I hear what you have to say!

Visitors since 10-9-07